SecurityCertified

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Bejtlich on Visible Risk Podcast

Posted on 6:53 PM by Unknown
My friend Rocky DeStefano from Visible Risk posted the video (streaming) and audio (.mp3, 124 MB) of a discussion he hosted on advanced persisten threat. Myself, Mike Cloppert, Rob Lee, and Shawn Carpenter discussed APT for about an hour on video and about an hour and a half on audio. Let Rocky know what you think as a comment here or via Twitter to @visiblerisk.

One comment -- slightly before the 24:00 mark, Rob made a remark about "what you and I respond to in the Air Force was laughable at this point, compared to what we're seeing today, actual intelligence being pulled back, potential nation state actors, potential organized crime, earning thousands or millions of dollars..." I disagree with part of that comment and agree with part of that comment. For the "disagree" part: Rob was stationed in the 609th, which was not the AFCERT. In the AFCERT we detected and responded to nation state activity of the caliber we see today. I don't know what the 609th dealt with. For the "agree" part: in 1998 it was much rarer to see organized crime operating at the level they do today. I didn't respond during the video because I didn't feel the need to interrupt any time I didn't fully agree with a speaker, and this exchange was mostly between Rob and Mike!
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in apt | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Happy 7th Birthday TaoSecurity Blog
    Today, 8 January 2010, is the 7th birthday of TaoSecurity Blog . I wrote my first post on 8 January 2003 while working as an incident resp...
  • Report on Instances of US Forces Abroad
    Thanks to Steven Aftergood's post Instances of US Forces Abroad I learned of a new Congressional Research Service report of the same na...
  • Review of Robust Control System Networks Posted
    Amazon.com just posted my five star review of Robust Control System Networks by Ralph Langner . From the review : I am not an industrial ...
  • My Role in Information Warfare during the Yugoslav Wars
    This morning I read a Tweet from @AirForceAssoc reminding me that: Today in Airpower History, August 30, 1995: NATO and U.S. aircraft bega...
  • Risk Modeling, not "Threat Modeling"
    Thanks to the great new book Metasploit (review pending), I learned of the Penetration Testing Execution Standard . According to the site,...
  • I Want to Detect and Respond to Intruders But I Don't Know Where to Start!
    "I want to detect and respond to intruders but I don't know where to start!" This is a common question. Maybe you have a new...
  • C-SPAN Posts Video of Tuesday Hearing
    You can now access video of Tuesday's House Select Committee on Intelligence Hearing on Cybersecurity at C-SPAN . Some people are alread...
  • Bejtlich Teaching at Black Hat DC 2011
    Over the holiday break I've been putting the finishing touches on TCP/IP Weapons School 3.0 , to be presented first at Black Hat DC 2011...
  • SQL Injection Challenge and Time-Based Security
    Thanks to this Tweet by @ryancbarnett, I learned of the lessons learned of the Level II component of the ModSecurity SQL Injection Challen...
  • Bejtlich to Speak at SANS Forensics and Incident Response 2010
    I am pleased to announce that I will return for the third SANS WhatWorks Summit in Forensics and Incident Response in DC, 8-9 July 2010. R...

Categories

  • afcert
  • Air Force
  • analysis
  • announcement
  • apt
  • attribution
  • bestbook
  • blackhat
  • books
  • breakers
  • bro
  • bruins
  • certification
  • china
  • cisco
  • cissp
  • cloud
  • clowns
  • commodore
  • conferences
  • controls
  • correlation
  • counterintelligence
  • cybercommand
  • cyberwar
  • dfm
  • education
  • engineering
  • feds
  • fisma
  • freebsd
  • GE
  • ge-cirt
  • hakin9
  • history
  • impressions
  • information warfare
  • ipv6
  • law
  • leadership
  • malware
  • mandiant
  • microsoft
  • mssp
  • nsm
  • offense
  • oisf
  • packetstash
  • philosophy
  • pirates
  • powerpoint
  • press
  • psirt
  • reading
  • redteam
  • reviews
  • russia
  • sans
  • sec
  • sguil
  • snorby
  • spying
  • threat model
  • threats
  • Traffic Talk
  • training
  • tufte
  • tv
  • ubuntu
  • usenix
  • verizon
  • vulnerabilities
  • wisdom
  • writing

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (16)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2012 (60)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (5)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (9)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2011 (108)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (7)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (18)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (17)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ▼  2010 (193)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (11)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (16)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (26)
    • ►  June (15)
    • ►  May (15)
    • ▼  April (15)
      • Blame the Bullets, not PowerPoint
      • Review of The Rootkit Arsenal Posted
      • Snort Near Real Time Detection Project
      • Thoughts on New OMB FISMA Memo
      • Still Looking for Infrastructure Administrator for...
      • Review of Handbook of Digital Forensics and Invest...
      • Review of The Victorian Internet Posted
      • Measurement Over Models
      • Vulnerable Sites Database: More Intrusion as a Ser...
      • "Cyber insecurity is the paramount national securi...
      • Response to Dan Geer Article on APT
      • Last Chance for TCP/IP Weapons School 2.0 in Las V...
      • Bejtlich on Visible Risk Podcast
      • Defense Security Service Publishes 2009 Report on ...
      • BeyondTrust Report on Removing Administrator: Corr...
    • ►  March (16)
    • ►  February (19)
    • ►  January (25)
  • ►  2009 (123)
    • ►  December (10)
    • ►  November (17)
    • ►  October (21)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (20)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (21)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile