SecurityCertified

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Digital Security Is Not Just an Engineering Problem

Posted on 7:23 PM by Unknown
Recently I participated in a small meeting involving a cross-section of people interested in digital security and public policy. During the meeting one of the participants voiced the often-repeated but, in my opinion, misguided notion that the primary problem with digital security is "design." In other words, "the Internet was not designed to be secure." If the Internet was not designed to be secure, all applications are "built on a foundation of sand" and therefore can never be "secure."

This is a typical "engineering" mentality applied to digital security. I do not agree with it. You might think it's because I'm not a "professional engineer." Strangely enough, at USAFA I took classes in chemistry, physics (two courses), math (calc III and diff eq), thermodynamics, and five pure engineering courses (electrical, mechanical, civil, aeronautical, astronautical) plus the dreaded Academy "capstone" course -- all of which would qualify me for a minor in engineering at a "normal" college. Still, I do not think digital security is an engineering problem.

My opinion does not mean that engineering has no role. On the contrary, good engineering helps reduce vulnerabilities and exposures. Unfortunately, that focus only affects part of the risk equation. Focusing only on engineering completely ignores the threat, which in my judgement is the biggest problem with digital security today.

You know what prompted me to write this post? It was Security Engineering Is Not The Solution to Targeted Attacks by Charles Smutz, a professional software developer who creates custom security tools for a large defense contractor. Charles wrote:

[B]laming security engineering for the impact of targeted attacks is [a] herring as red as they come. A world where security engineering actually tried to solve highly targeted and determined attackers would not be a fun place in which to live. In absence of other solutions, an intelligence driven incident response model is your best bet.

You know I agree with that.

Charles wrote his post to refute Security engineering: broken promises by Michal Zalewski. Michal is a really smart security researcher but I agree with Charles that Michal has also fallen for the "security as design problem" mentality.

If you want to know what I think works, please consult my 2007 post Threat Deterrence, Mitigation, and Elimination.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Happy 7th Birthday TaoSecurity Blog
    Today, 8 January 2010, is the 7th birthday of TaoSecurity Blog . I wrote my first post on 8 January 2003 while working as an incident resp...
  • Report on Instances of US Forces Abroad
    Thanks to Steven Aftergood's post Instances of US Forces Abroad I learned of a new Congressional Research Service report of the same na...
  • Review of Robust Control System Networks Posted
    Amazon.com just posted my five star review of Robust Control System Networks by Ralph Langner . From the review : I am not an industrial ...
  • My Role in Information Warfare during the Yugoslav Wars
    This morning I read a Tweet from @AirForceAssoc reminding me that: Today in Airpower History, August 30, 1995: NATO and U.S. aircraft bega...
  • Risk Modeling, not "Threat Modeling"
    Thanks to the great new book Metasploit (review pending), I learned of the Penetration Testing Execution Standard . According to the site,...
  • I Want to Detect and Respond to Intruders But I Don't Know Where to Start!
    "I want to detect and respond to intruders but I don't know where to start!" This is a common question. Maybe you have a new...
  • C-SPAN Posts Video of Tuesday Hearing
    You can now access video of Tuesday's House Select Committee on Intelligence Hearing on Cybersecurity at C-SPAN . Some people are alread...
  • Bejtlich Teaching at Black Hat DC 2011
    Over the holiday break I've been putting the finishing touches on TCP/IP Weapons School 3.0 , to be presented first at Black Hat DC 2011...
  • SQL Injection Challenge and Time-Based Security
    Thanks to this Tweet by @ryancbarnett, I learned of the lessons learned of the Level II component of the ModSecurity SQL Injection Challen...
  • Bejtlich to Speak at SANS Forensics and Incident Response 2010
    I am pleased to announce that I will return for the third SANS WhatWorks Summit in Forensics and Incident Response in DC, 8-9 July 2010. R...

Categories

  • afcert
  • Air Force
  • analysis
  • announcement
  • apt
  • attribution
  • bestbook
  • blackhat
  • books
  • breakers
  • bro
  • bruins
  • certification
  • china
  • cisco
  • cissp
  • cloud
  • clowns
  • commodore
  • conferences
  • controls
  • correlation
  • counterintelligence
  • cybercommand
  • cyberwar
  • dfm
  • education
  • engineering
  • feds
  • fisma
  • freebsd
  • GE
  • ge-cirt
  • hakin9
  • history
  • impressions
  • information warfare
  • ipv6
  • law
  • leadership
  • malware
  • mandiant
  • microsoft
  • mssp
  • nsm
  • offense
  • oisf
  • packetstash
  • philosophy
  • pirates
  • powerpoint
  • press
  • psirt
  • reading
  • redteam
  • reviews
  • russia
  • sans
  • sec
  • sguil
  • snorby
  • spying
  • threat model
  • threats
  • Traffic Talk
  • training
  • tufte
  • tv
  • ubuntu
  • usenix
  • verizon
  • vulnerabilities
  • wisdom
  • writing

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (16)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2012 (60)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (5)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (10)
    • ►  August (2)
    • ►  July (6)
    • ►  June (6)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (2)
    • ►  March (9)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2011 (108)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (7)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (18)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (17)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (9)
  • ▼  2010 (193)
    • ►  December (14)
    • ►  November (11)
    • ►  October (6)
    • ►  September (16)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (26)
    • ►  June (15)
    • ▼  May (15)
      • National Security Strategy is Empty on "Cyberspace"
      • Digital Security Is Not Just an Engineering Problem
      • "Privacy" vs "Security" or Privacy AND Security
      • More Evidence Military Will Eventually Defend Civi...
      • SANS WhatWorks Summit in Forensics and Incident Re...
      • Forget Pre-Incident Cost, How Much Did Your Last I...
      • More on Black Hat Costs
      • Watch Your WHOIS Entries
      • Review of Masters of Deception Posted
      • Review of Cyberpunk Posted
      • Review of The Hacker Crackdown Posted
      • Everything I Need to Know About Leadership I Learn...
      • Papers Not PowerPoint, Plus Tips for Improvement
      • Bejtlich to Speak at SANS Forensics and Incident R...
      • The Face of Information Warfare
    • ►  April (15)
    • ►  March (16)
    • ►  February (19)
    • ►  January (25)
  • ►  2009 (123)
    • ►  December (10)
    • ►  November (17)
    • ►  October (21)
    • ►  September (13)
    • ►  August (20)
    • ►  July (21)
    • ►  June (21)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile